This guide is intended to give you an overview of the steps required to set up an Ouster lidar sensor and generate a point cloud. For detailed instructions and safety information, please refer to the official manual (link below).
List of required items
When unboxing your Ouster OS-series lidar sensor you should be provided with the following components:
- OS0/OS1/OS2 lidar sensor
- Interface box
- Sensor to interface box cable/connector
- 24V AC/DC power supply
- RJ45 ethernet cable
- Baseplate Mount
Additionally, you will need a computer running either Windows, macOS, or Linux.
- Attach the provided cable to the sensor by making sure the "UP" indicator is pointing upwards. After connecting, rotate the collet until you hear a "click".
- Connect the power supply to the barrel connector of the interface box and plug the other end into the wall socket.
- Connect your computer with the interface box by using the RJ45 ethernet cable.
- Open a web browser on your computer and enter the following address: http://os-serial number. Make sure to enter your serial number correctly or otherwise the connection will fail. Note that depending on your computer, it may be required to disable your computer's firewall to communicate with the sensor.
On the Dashboard, your system information and status are displayed, giving you basic information. In the "Firmware Update" tab, you are able to update your firmware to the latest version.
When issues arise, alerts and errors will be displayed in the Diagnostics tab. A list of Alert and Error codes can be found in the official firmware user manual. If you are unable to solve these errors, you can submit a topic in this forum. Please make sure to attach the diagnostic file when requesting support. The diagnostic file can be downloaded at the bottom of the diagnostics page.
Here you can change your sensor configuration, like operation mode or UDP ports.
For further information on hard- and software Ouster provides detailed guides that can be downloaded on the documentation tab.
Visualizing the first point cloud
For visualization of your first point cloud, you can either use Ouster Studio or the new Ouster Python SDK. Ouster recommends using the Python SDK. To generate your first point cloud you need to follow these steps:
- Set up a virtual environment in python
- Pip-install the Ouster Python SDK (link here)
- Type the following command:
simple-viz --sensor os-_serial number_
Now your first point cloud should be generated
For further information and detailed guides, please refer to these resources:
- Download the hard- and software manual here
- Watch this tutorial on how to set up the Python SDK
- If you have any questions or experience issues, you can always start a thread in this forum or simply comment below